UAE Federal Tax Authority launches smart app to help consumers detect non-compliant tobacco products
As part of its ongoing efforts to protect consumers from commercial fraud and combat tax evasion with various mechanisms, the Federal Tax Authority (FTA) of the UAE has launched an innovative smart application for consumer’s use. This latest technology allows consumers to scan the digital tobacco products and detect illegal products so that they can be reported to the FTA through the application.
The application has been launched under the banner, “Monitor yourself, fight fraud”. The users can install the app, known as ‘FTA DTS’, on their smartphones via the Apple Store and Google Play.
The FTA explained that the application enables consumers to scan the stamps placed on the tobacco packages or tobacco products to verify and ensure that it is an Authority accredited digital tax stamp. Should the consumer discover that the stamps are not accredited, they can file a report to the FTA directly from the smart application. The Authority will then cooperate with the relevant authorities to take legal actions against violators.
Read more about the Digital Tax Stamp Scheme
The objectives of the smart app are:
- Better monitor and trace the trade in illicit tobacco products.
- Allow consumers to assist the authority in combating illegal products.
- Consumers are assured that the products they purchase are licensed and conform to the specifications.
- Prevent the leakage of inferior products that do not conform to specifications and cause harm to health and the environment.
How to use the application:
- Users must point the camera at the digital tax stamp of the scan and check its validity.
- If the digital tax stamp cannot be scanned through the camera, the user must enter the code manually.
- The user must provide more information in case the product is unreliable or without a digital tax stamp.
- In turn, the authority will work to investigate and communicate with the concerned authorities to limit the spread of illegal tobacco products.
* Note: The FTA DTS application is available for download from the App Store and Google Play.
Get your queries addressed by our tax experts.